Congratulations to our 2021 Miles for Meaning Team! During this one-month virtual event, our team of 115 participants ran, walked, & hiked over 10,000 miles, raising over $20,000 to help women thrive after a cancer diagnosis. Team Survivor ranked 1st in fundraising and 12th in miles out of 147 teams (other nonprofit organizations across the US). Thank you to all who supported the team!
The competition is over for the season, but we hope to see you again next March! Through this one-month challenge, we achieve exercise goals, make new friends, and support an organization that we all care about.
Click on the category to read more details.
What gear do I need?
All you need is a smart phone and a free app. Apps like Google Fit, Fitbit, Garmin Connect, Strava, Apple Health, & Under Armour (MapMyRun) will connect to Kilter to show your miles. Then your workout will automatically upload. A fitness watch is not required, but should work great if you have one that can start and stop an exercise!
How Do I Set Up Kilter & Join the Team?
First step is to get the Kilter app set up and working on your phone. You can watch this video tutorial or read the steps:
- Download the Kilter app (iOS/Android)
- Create your account & complete your profile
- Connect your device
- Note: Kilter itself is not directly measuring your exercise, it is connected to a 2nd app (a fitness device or a fitness tracker app on your phone).
- If you do not have a device you already use to track workouts/distance, you can download one of the listed options onto your phone and walk/run/etc. with your phone. (You do not need a fitness watch, but can easily use one if you have one.)
- If you are using your phone to track your workout and you have not previously used one of the options listed, we recommend trying MapMyRun (UnderAmour) or Strava (both free).
- Once you have a tracking device uploaded on your phone, then you will be able to connect that device to Kilter.
- If asked, click “Allow All” when prompted so that the data comes through and your workouts get counted.
- Visit EVENTS (bottom left) and locate the Miles For Meaning campaign in EXPLORE
- Click join, then search our team: Team Survivor Northwest 2
- Once you are connected to a team, you can see your own team, see other teams, compare points, etc.
Help! My Points Are Not Showing!
Connecting two apps can be complicated. Please go refer to the list of guidelines if you are having trouble:
- Make sure your tracking app is connected to Kilter: Check under “Profile” (bottom right corner) then “Connect Devices” and there should be a red “Disconnect” next to the app that you are using. That means you’re connected.
- You need to start/stop an activity for it to count. They are only counting intentional workouts, not steps. So the start/stop is important. To see how to do this with your app, click here.
- If you are tracking fine, but you don’t seem to be connected to our team, see steps 4 & 5 of “How do I set up Kilter & Join the Team?” above.
- Click here for a FAQ sheet from Kilter with additional tips
- If you have done all of the steps above and turned off your phone and reopened the app, but Kilter still isn’t showing your points, see the contact info below.
- There is often a time gap between your workout and the data showing in Kilter. If 12 hours after your workout, the data is still not there, the connection may not be working.
- If you completed a workout and it didn’t count it, get connected and then take a screen shot of your tracking app where it shows miles of an activity. Email it to email@example.com. If you show a specific workout, they will manually enter it and you will still receive the points.
- Apple Health will only give you points if you have the watch. This is because the phone app doesn’t have a start/stop option. If you use Apple Health and not the watch, you will need to download another free app (try Strava or MapMyRun/Under Armour).
- Google Fit shows up as an option on Kilter but has not been working. We recommend Strava or MapMyRun/Under Armour instead.
Tech Support: If you are struggling with a technical issue, you have two options:
- Email Jennefer at firstname.lastname@example.org and include your phone number.
- Email Kilter at email@example.com.
What are the Rules?
- Activities that count for points are: walking, running, hiking, rolling (wheelchair) & rucking (marching with weight on your back).
- You must start and stop your activities for them to count.
- One connected device only. This ensures a fair and accurate accounting of all miles tracked.
- You can start and stop an activity multiple times a day for more points if you would like to break things up.
- You cannot enter workouts manually. (With a $25,000 prize, they want to be sure there is no cheating.)
Why are There 2 Team Survivor Northwest Teams?
There are up to 100 people allowed on each team (to keep things fair for smaller organizations competing against national organizations). We have filled the first team and our second team is filling up quickly too! When joining, please select “Team Survivor Northwest 2”
Who Can Join?
This event is open to ALL supporters who want to be active and help women who have had a cancer diagnosis. We encourage you to include your friends & family so they can run for a good cause! They can register through Team Survivor Northwest by clicking on this link: https://www.jotform.com/outreachtsnw/m4m
How Can I Follow My Teammates?
You can see the list of all of the members on our team and their points by clicking on “Teams” on the Leaderboard, then click on Team Survivor Northwest. You can also see who is in the lead with collecting donations by selecting “raised” instead of “score”. (Some have already hit their $500 goal!)
You can “connect” with friends by clicking on their name on our team leaderboard, then click “follow”. When you go to “feed” and “connections” You will see their activity and you can give them a “You Rock” note by clicking on the Kilter rocks, encouraging them to do it again!
When are the Weekly Team Workouts over Zoom?
The Team Survivor kick-off event was on February 26th. Optional weekly training will take place every Friday at 6:00pm in March. The same Zoom link will be emailed out before each training. The final celebration will take place April 2nd at 6:00pm.
How Do I Donate or Fundraise to Support the Cause?
In addition to a healthy fitness competition, this is also an opportunity for your friends and family to support your goals and donate to TSNW, whose mission is to support your health. We know that everyone will bring different strengths to this team. Some will be stronger at adding miles and some will be stronger at fundraising – and that’s why we are a team. We need all strengths! Fundraising is not required, but it is encouraged. The recommended goal for each participant is $500 in donations, but you can set a goal that you feel is realistic for you. This is easy with the Kilter app that sends invites and tracks donations so you can see who donated and personally thank them.
Request support from your friends & family who want to see you hit your goals and keep you healthy! Use Kilter’s “Get Donations” button to ask people to donate based on your achievements. See this video for instructions: How to donate video clip.
100% of contributions will be donated to Team Survivor Northwest (there is an option to add a tip to Kilter to cover their charges). International donations are accepted as well.
Want to share a 2-minute video about Team Survivor Northwest with your friends? Share this: https://youtu.be/A89uG-n-Lcg
What Are the Prizes?
1st Place: $25,000 Donation
The team with most miles logged from March 1-31 will be crowned the winner!
The first 50 charities to raise $1,000 during the challenge will receive a $1,000 match. Team Survivor has already won this match!
- Kilter Surprise Swag Pack: Top Fundraiser Weekly (winner chosen weekly!)
- Kilter Surprise Swag Pack: Top 3 Total Miles Logged (winners announced at end of event)
- 5K-a-day: Log at least 96.41 miles (average 3.11 miles per day) OR raise at least $200 for your charity to receive a free Miles For Meaning T-Shirt, sponsored by TVP and Kilter.
- Comcast SportsTech Bundles: Anyone who logs at least 30 total miles will be entered to win one of 10 prize packs (Athletic Water Bottle + T-Shirt + Kilter Sticker), sponsored by Comcast Sports Tech!
There is an additional $5,000 Kilter will be giving away throughout March. Team Survivor Northwest will also be giving out prizes. Stay tuned for flash challenges and how to win!
How Can I Add My Favorite Song to the Playlist?
Working out with music is more fun! We are making a shared playlist filled with the team’s favorite workout songs. If you want to add a song, click this link.
We will send a link to the playlist to the whole team, which you can listen to for free on Spotify.
Thank You to our Sponsors!
Click the logos below to see sponsor websites.